Thursday, September 22, 2011

Mitsuwa Hokkaido Fair 9/17/2011 - Obanyaki

Popped over to Mitsuwa this weekend to check out their Hokkaido Fair. They have different foods brought to you from Hokkaido, Japan. It's hard for a vegetarian to find anything, but desserts are always an option. This time I found something called obanyaki.

Obanyaki stand
This is the first stand when you walk in...so it's hard to miss. It is also called imagawayaki (that's how it's listed in Wikipedia) and reminiscent of taiyaki (a red bean filled cake in the shape of a fish). There are many names for this depending on the area. I couldn't find something exactly like this.

Putting in red bean filling.
So by the looks of this, I thought it was a cake batter outside with a red bean filling inside. Looks like a lot of those Asian stands where they make small cakes with fillings...except this was much bigger.

Left back is red bean, right front is caramel
These things were huge. I couldn't wait to try this. I've never had this before! I wonder if it's the same as the other Asian waffle like batters with the different fillings inside. That's what I think it is.

Cut open...dog wants some too
So I had to cut it in half to see what it looked like. You know, it doesn't have that cake/waffle like texture...I was wrong! (The dog smells the aroma and comes out to see what it is...and if she can try some. Dogs love all kinds of food!) Anyway, back to the food...it's not what I expected! It's not a cake/waffle batter...it's more of a mochi consistency...very chewy. Interesting...never had this before. Oh these things are huge...and very filling. I think one per person is enough. I like red bean, so that was my favorite flavor, but the caramel wasn't bad either. I'm not a big fan of mochi though...so I wouldn't want to get this again...but it was pretty good...and I like trying different Japanese desserts. They're not usually TOO sweet. =)

Mitsuwa Marketplace
Costa Mesa Store
665 Paularino Avenue
Costa Mesa, CA 92626
(714)557-6699
http://www.mitsuwa.com/english/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment