Sunday, September 18, 2011

Kitayama Restaurant - Newport Beach, CA : Vegetarian Eats

For a more "authentic" Japanese feel, Kityama has the decor and waitresses dressed in kimonos to make it happen. It is pricier than most places, but many years ago we felt the food was worth it. However, this review is based on last November (yes I have food I have not posted about from eons ago)...and our thoughts have changed.

Miso Soup
I don't have bad things to say about miso soup. It's generally the same to me...although some places are saltier or have a "powdery" taste to it...but this one was fine.

Tofu w/ Mushrooms and Veggie Roll in back
Many years ago I had their Japanese potatoes and some other little things that were vegetarian. This time I just found the tofu with mushrooms and the usual veggie roll. Both were also fine...but there was nothing extra special about the food. I came here many years ago because they had different types of food...even for me. Now this food is food you can get at any Japanese restaurant...and more reasonably priced at other places. It now seems like you're just paying for the atmosphere. And this is not just because I'm vegetarian...The Meat-eater feels his food was also good but not extra delicious like previous years. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad...it's still pretty darn good...but we're not into paying for atmosphere. We just want the good food! We can get this quality food at other places for less. I used to love this place...but things sure have changed....oh well. =( Maybe after a while...we'll see if yelp users have changed their opinions and give it a try then....but we'll be looking for other places to dine. I wish they had Roka Akor out here...that place is sooo goood. (It's in Scottsdale by the way for those of you out in AZ. More expensive...but really good in my opinion and The Meat-eater's too.)

Kitayama Restaurant
http://www.kitayamarestaurant.com/
101 Bayview Place
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949) 725-0777
Lunch Mon - Fri: 11:30AM - 2:00PM
Dinner Mon - Fri: 6:00PM - 10:00PM
Sat: 5:30PM - 10:00PM
Sun: 5:30PM - 9:30PM

No comments:

Post a Comment