Friday, May 27, 2011

Kula Revolving Sushi Bar - Irvine, CA : What's a Vegetarian to Eat?

Revolving sushi....that can't be good...right? Well the ones in other countries are great! The food is fresh and it's fun to look at the food motoring by. I've only been to one other sushi train in the US and it wasn't so good as the food wasn't really a good quality. However, Kula Sushi is good! During mealtimes there are tons of people waiting outside. Just write your name on the sign in sheet when you enter and wait for your name to be called. Maybe because it's so busy...so the turnover of food is quick and the quality seems fresher. Everything is $2 except udon noodles, tempura, and alcohol.

Interior view from booth/table
View from the sushi bar
The sushi bar is just at the entrance. The tables/booths are further inside. It's not a huge restaurant in any sense but because food is right there...the time it takes to eat is shorter.

Tamago (Egg)
Inari
From the train I usually grab the tamago (sweet egg) and inari. I don't know why the egg has no seaweed around it. Maybe because the seaweed gets soft after a while. The inari is a seasoned tofu pocket with rice stuffed inside. It's kind of sweet.

Assorted Hand Rolls
Hand rolls are not on the sushi train. You order these from the waiter. Each one is also $2. These are fresh...so eat them right away or the nori (seaweed) may get slightly soft. The left side is The Meat-eater rolls and the right is vegetable rolls. They also have plain avocado or plain cucumber but I like the assorted veggies.

Veggie Hand Roll
The veggie hand roll includes avocado, lettuce, carrots, cucumber, rice, and sesame seeds. (That's what I can see from the picture.) They try to use organic veggies, and the quality of veggies is good...always looks pretty fresh.

Red Bean Mochi
They also have assorted desserts on the train. Fried sesame balls, candied yams, this other type of mochi and this red bean mochi. I don't like mochi but I like red bean...so I got this anyway. They also have ice-cream you can order. Mmmm...ice-cream. For the quality of the food and the price...this is a great value. Every time I go to other sushi places I think I can eat at Kula for less...and it tastes just as good.

I classified this as semi-healthy because of the white rice. If only there was brown rice mochi and brown rice sushi. I make brown rice sushi for myself at home. Ok health food places out there...get cracking! (I know Whole Foods makes brown rice sushi in case anyone wanted them pre-made.)

Kula Revolving Sushi Bar
2700 Alton Parkway, Suite 133
Irvine, CA 92606
(949) 553-0747
11AM - 11PM

No comments:

Post a Comment