Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Yard House - Newport Beach, CA : Gardein Veggie Wings and Veggie Orange Peel "Chicken"

Even though the Yard House is named after their yard glass drinks (served during Colonial times), there is plenty of good food to eat here. I remember it being pretty tasty...so imagine my surprise when I sit down (it's been a while) and find a sub vegetarian section on their menu.  Yay...more options for vegetarians!

Gardein Section of Menu
All their items are substituted with gardein. Gardein is a complete protein (quoted from their website) made from soy, wheat and pea proteins, vegetables and ancient grains (quinoa, amaranth, millet and kamut).

Veggie Boneless Wings with Jerk Sauce
For starters we got the Veggie Boneless Wings with Jerk Sauce (this was the mildest sauce). The Meat-eater liked this dish! I like the chewy texture. It went well with the sauce...but I found that by itself it was flavorful too. I did not like that it was fried...but that's probably what made it taste good and why The Meat-eater liked it.

Veggie Orange Peel Chicken
My entree was the Veggie Orange Peel Chicken. I've had good orange peel tofu before so I was eager to taste this. The meal itself was good...but I didn't really taste the orange flavor. Again, I didn't like that the gardein balls were fried, but I was able to choose brown rice (as many places still don't have it)...and the bok choy isn't bad either. I think the orange stuff on top is fried shredded carrots. Again...don't like all that fried stuff. It's just so bad for you...but I guess that's why people love fried food...it tastes good. Once in a while it's ok and this was good...just don't expect an orange-like flavor in your orange peel "chicken." Next time I would try another dish from the sub veggie section of their menu.

Yard House
http://www.yardhouse.com
Fashion Island
849 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660
(949)640-9273

No comments:

Post a Comment