Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Romano's Macaroni Grill - Tustin/Irvine, CA : Mozzarella Fritta & Mushroom Ravioli

I haven't been to a Macaroni Grill in a while. I used to think it was only a little better than Olive Garden. (Sorry Olive Garden lovers...I used to like to eat there too. Taste buds changed.) But now on another visit...I think it's pretty good again. Strange how our tastes change over time. Sorry the pictures are a little fuzzy...I blame the poor lighting and my inability to hold the camera perfectly still while using the indoor light setting. Maybe I should bring my Joby everywhere with me...those things rock! (I was not paid to say that....I really do like them!)

Fresh Mozzarella Fritta
We started out with somel Fresh Mozzarella Fritta. Their menu describes it as "fresh mozzarella with a delicate garlic-herb crust, served with arrabbiata sauce." I didn't know what arrabbiata sauce was...but it is as it looks...a type of tomato sauce. The crust was nice and crunchy. I want to say it's similar to a panko type crust as it was flakier and airier than regular breadcrumbs. Together with the sauce and herbs in the crust, the flavors went well together. The picture is of half eaten fritta...as we had already eaten three. So good!

Mushroom Ravioli
My vegetarian entree was the Mushroom Ravioli. From their menu it's "porcini-filled pasta sauteed with a Marsala cream sauce and fresh mushrooms." There's also some caramelized onions on top if you can tell. I am not a good judge of the sauce because my preference is for tomato sauces...but I like mushrooms so much that I got this dish with the cream sauce anyway. So the cream sauce was not my favorite...but the caramelized onions went really well with the whole dish. It was still pretty good to me!

Romano's Macaroni Grill
http://www.macaronigrill.com/Home/Home.aspx
Location this was eaten at listed on their website as Tustin:
13652 Jamboree Road
Irvine, CA 92602
714-508-7990

No comments:

Post a Comment