Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Koki's Japanese Teppan House - Tustin, CA : Vegetable Delight

Koki's is a fun place to eat if you have children and haven't seen the tricks before. The food here USED to be pretty good. Apparently it was sold, and the only location now is in Tustin. The Irvine location closed. I'm sorry to say that I did not enjoy my food, and neither did The Meat-eater.

Salad
My only option is the Vegetable Delight set (besides tempura), and it comes with salad, rice, and the vegetable yakisoba plate. The salad is just an iceberg lettuce...and pretty much nothing else. A few straws of carrots here and there. The salad dressing is still the same and good though, but the substance of the salad is very cheap. Iceberg lettuce in a $16.50 combo meal. Hmm....quality down.

Fried Rice
Instead of plain rice, I opted for fried rice. However, my fried rice was just mainly white rice cooked in loads of butter, garlic butter, and some seasoning. Do you see anything else besides rice? There was a small bowl of veggies dumped in...but it's 98% white rice. That is part of my combo meal. I've definitely had better fried rice under previous ownership...which is why I usually choose the fried rice. Boy, was I wrong in this decision. Again...quality down.

Vegetable Delight
My main meal were the yakisoba, vegetables, and tofu. This is pretty much the same except...it has loads of salt. Blegh! The quality has really gone down since the ownership change. The Meat-eater's steak was also not as good as it used to be. The chef gave him a big chunk of grisly fat. I would say, it's totally NOT worth the price anymore. They did have decent customer service...but they were trying really hard and you could tell. There were also 2 kids birthdays going on at the same time, so it seems to be more of a family place now. The quality of food going down doesn't seem to matter as much, as long as the family/kids are having a good time. That must be their new motto. So sad since this used to be such a good place. Maybe I just got a bad chef, who knows. All I know is, I'm not going back and we're going to have to find a new teppan place.

Koki's Japanese Teppan House
1061 E. Main St.
Tustin, CA 92780
(714)505-6738

No comments:

Post a Comment