Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Homemade Whole Wheat Banana Pecan Bread

What to do with those ripe bananas...make banana bread! Been looking for a good banana bread recipe and somewhere someone suggested this one. The recipe is from Saveur.com but I've rewritten it here as well with my substitutes.


Whole Wheat Banana Pecan Bread
Mom's Banana  Bread Recipe:
Butter, for greasing pan
1 cup flour, plus more for dusting pan  (or whole wheat pastry flour)
3/4 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. kosher salt  (or sea salt)
1 cup sugar  (or brown sugar use 3/4cup if you don't like things too sweet)
1/2 cup canola oil
1/3 cup buttermilk (or soy milk)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk
2/3 cup chopped pecans
3 very ripe  bananas, mashed

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9"x5"x2 3/4" loaf pan with butter and dust with flour; set pan aside.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
3. Whisk together sugar, oil, buttermilk, vanilla, egg, and egg yolk in a medium bowl until smooth. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and whisk until just combined. Add pecans and mashed bananas and whisk gently to combine. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean, 60–65 minutes. Let cool for 30 minutes before slicing and serving.

The substitutions made are written in green. I like to use whole wheat pasty flour for cakes because it's softer than regular whole wheat flour. I also don't have buttermilk handy, but I do have soy milk at home. So I would say to just use whatever kind of milk you have handy. I also used less than a cup of sugar because I don't like things that are too sweet. All in all, I think it came out pretty good! It may not be as rich and creamy without the buttermilk, but I still think it's pretty darn good! It's kind of like cake because it's not doughy at all. So next time you have extra ripe bananas at home, make some banana bread. (You don't have to use my version of course.)


No comments:

Post a Comment